Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Dealing with blind hatred for the GPL

From: klez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Dealing with blind hatred for the GPL
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:43:55 +0100

Il 27 febbraio 2016 19:09:41 CET, Yui Hirasawa <yui@cock.li> ha scritto:
>> Mention "freedom" and they'll say the GPL is "restrictive" and
>"viral".
>
>Many people who think that are anarchist who also think they should be
>allowed to kill.

It's very unfortunate you'd think this way. I too find the GPL restricts some
freedom, but understand the need for it and advocate its use over permissive
licenses. And I'm an anarchist, but I don't think I should be allowed to kill.
I don't know what kind of anarchists you met, but no one I know thinks they
should be allowed to kill.

Back to the point, I agree that the battle is uphill when trying to convince
someone who's alredy made up his mind about software freedom. But it's not a
lost battle, and if you don't fight back on public forums, you give the
impression they are right. You aren't really trying to convince them, but
showing other readers that there's another way.

I hope I'm making sense.

klez