Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Purism is not free hardware

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Purism is not free hardware
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:16:53 -0500

On 03/08/2018 06:33 PM, John Sullivan wrote:

Stefan Nagy <stefan.nagy@posteo.net> writes:

Am 07.03.2018 23:04 schrieb Taiidan@gmx.com:
"Grassroots:
Purism, makers of fine free hardware"

https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors

Purism isn't free hardware, […]
You are right, they don't offer free hardware. Since I respect their
work
I wrote them an email and asked them to correct that.

It seems like they are willingly trying to unmake their reputation with
stupid misstatements like that. I don't get it…
This was purely our mistake. Purism did not request that tagline (or any
tagline at all).
I am very surprised that there is someone at the FSF who is un-aware of the situation. Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air time on the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately libre hardware gets none. "PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops and now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.
I apologize to Todd and the Purism crew, and to everyone for the
confusion. I'm sorry.
Was it really the fault of the FSF?
In the past purism has for instance posted a minifree bashing image on their twitter and then claimed it "wasn't an approved tweet" https://web.archive.org/web/20150816183411/http://i0.wp.com/blogs.coreboot.org/files/2015/08/purism_attacks_minifree.png
(We don't even currently certify free hardware -- only hardware that
works with and supports free software.)
Since they have a booth at libreplanet will they be allowed to have their false advertising or will all signs and literature be approved in advance?

* Coreboot with blobbed hardware initiation is not "free firmware"
* The LibreM is not at all libre hardware (gotta change that name)
* ME_Cleaner/HAP bit do not disable ME at all, the kernel still runs and can do as it pleases - if one fails to include the ME ROM the system WILL power off after 30 minutes and if one physically disconnects the ME processor from the system then the computer won't function - What purism does doesn't avoid the hypothetical intel firmware backdoor at all as it doesn't actually disable ME they are simply riding on the coat tails of the security research community.
* New intel x86_64 does not "respect your privacy, freedom and security"

They need to apologize and they need to stop the dishonest advertising - after that I will have no issue with them and I am sure people will still buy their products if they are completely honest about them.