Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Purism is not free hardware

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Purism is not free hardware
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 01:33:12 +0100

"Taiidan@gmx.com" <Taiidan@gmx.com> writes:

> Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air time
> on the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately libre
> hardware gets none.

> "PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops and
> now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.

That is not an accurate description. PureOS is an endorsed distribution
because it has committed to upholding the Guidelines for Free System
Distribution. It made a number of important changes from Debian in order
to achieve that.

All or almost all of the currently endorsed distributions are based on
other nonendorsed distributions -- but the changes they make are
significant for user freedom.

>> I apologize to Todd and the Purism crew, and to everyone for the
>> confusion. I'm sorry.
> Was it really the fault of the FSF?

Yes.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.