Re: [libreplanet-discuss] To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 00:05:58 +0100

> Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
> > On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
> >> No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership
> >> - not renew it!
> >
> > We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.
>
> A voice?  You were an associate member when the mobbing had been on
> peak, weren’t you?  Did FSF send you an email asking for your
> opinion?  Or did, at least, inform you about a decision, while it
> still was preliminary?
>
> Yes, indeed, FSF, unlike some other foundations [1], makes efforts to
> gain independence from transnational corporations by funding itself
> not from their ‘patronage’ but from dues and donations from thousands
> of individual supporters.
>
> But to whose voice did they lend an ear when they had to make a vital
> decision: was it its grass root members’ voice?
>
> [1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

I take objection to this; RMS resigned of his own free will, not
because the FSF pushed him out.

--
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn. The right not to be spied on
and censored by the government.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom