Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 22:25:13 +0300

* quiliro <quiliro@riseup.net> [2021-03-29 18:48]:
> > * A policy where you are innocent of a crime till proven guilty, this
> > protects both victims and the accused.  Investigations should aim to
> > reach the facts of what happened,

I am surprised how many people are willing to accuse those they do not
even know without fear of repercussion.

Personally, I never accuse neither believe the rumours that is spread
in news. Who was with whom in the bed, which prince had which lover
somewhere, princess, singer kicked ass, died, drugged, blood,
etc. that is newspaper that lives out of people who listen to fact-less
nonsense, living out of their freedom of speech to say even lies. But
personally I do not bother, as I will not enter or intrude in other
people's lives based on indirect knowledge from newspapers or media!

Each of us have separate relations relation from Joe to Jane may be
perfect, but Jane to Peter may be bad relation. Joe shall not judge
Jane by indirect knowledge of Jane's relation to Peter, but Joe shall
judge Jane by Joe's relation to Jane.

If there is very direct knowledge for Joe, to know what happened
between Jane and Peter -- this may be relevant for both relations. But
if there is no direct knowledge, than there is no reason to judge on
that relation. One thing you can help your friend Jane is to give some
advises, but don't criticize what you don't know directly.

Keep your good relation intact, as you do not know the context between
Jane and Peter, you do not know directly and thoroughly what happened
before, during and after the conflict. Thus don't criticize and defame
persons of good will, based on your fact-less indirect knowledge or joy
of reading rumours.

> > * Make it clear what the talk is about, and the talk is relevant to
> > free software, drm, etc, Right to repair or which ever it is,

That should be in the subject line.

> > We have a safe space policy for libre  that states certain things are
> > not tolerated.

Exactly. While I do feel safe by all means, I find that mailing list
is not beneficial if we focus on negativities or argumentation on
whoever initiated what, we just create more and more indirect useless
information that confuse other people and make this mailing list
unfriendly.

> This last statement sounds dictatorial.  I do generally agree make a
> good environment as you have proposed, but clarifying that it should
> not hurt freedom of speech.

There is no grant freedom of speech in private
communities. Libreplanet is community formed by private foundation FSF
(how I understand) which policies have not been set by the people, but
by appointed managers, and there is nothing wrong with it.

For example, you are not supposed to speak about porn, sex, positions,
swinger clubs on this list, as that is beyond the list topic, though
we may like it both... By placing few such extremes into observation
one can easily see that the mailing list is not meant for every
subject, that is why there are policies, goals, missions of
Libreplanet.

Libreplanet has certain policies which are beneficial and positive
policies. The fact that people write here and express their opinions
is not dictatorial. Abiding to good policies make us social and unites
people.

We shall speak about those issues that unite us.

Not about issues that do not unite us, be it defamation of RMS from
people who wish to remain clueless about it -- or be it anything else
that does not unite us.

Checklist:

- [ ] is the discussion contributive to Libreplanet mission and goals?
  Verify here: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Mission_Statement

- [ ] is it abiding by the Code of Conduct? Verify here:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Code_of_Conduct

- [ ] can your post be construed as harassment of anybody, in defense
  or in attack of RMS? Verify it here:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Safe_space_policy -- I don't personally
  find mailing list any more "safe". Not really.

And we shall stop speaking about those who oppose RMS, as that is
their right to do so, but here is not space for that -- speak about
that somewhere else, publish on websites, but don't use this list for
promotion of indirect rumor mongering knowledge.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns