Ethical and inexpensive mailing list service?

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 09:18:16 -0300

Hi.  I am part of a few Google Groups mailing lists and I would like to
move further away from G$$gle.  Do you recommend an inexpensive (note
that the Brazilian Real is very undervalued against the US Dollar) and
ethical (privacy and software freedom) mailing list service?

I know about sourcehut lists, but they forbid emails containing HTML
parts; I much prefer plain text myself, but I bet many of my colleagues
and friends will refuse to use a mailing list that forbids HTML.

I know about groups.io; its privacy policy seems acceptable, and I can
perform many operations in it without proprietary JavaScript, but it has
significant downsides:

1. The gratis plan has a limit of 100 members per list, and the paid
   plans are too expensive in Brazilian reais.
2. It does not commit itself to software freedom, so at any moment it
   could start requiring proprietary JavaScript for important
   operations.  I don't want to have to frequently change mailing list
   provider.

So, despite the shortcomings, do you recommend I move to groups.io (at
least for small lists that fit the gratis plan)?  Do you know a better
option?

Regards

--
- <https://stallmansupport.org> "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.