Re: Ethical and inexpensive mailing list service?

From: Jorge P . de Morais Neto
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:42:27 -0300

Hi.

Em [2021-06-14 seg 19:37:15+0300], Federico Leva (Nemo) escreveu:

> The GNU mailman wiki lists a few hosting services:
> https://wiki.list.org/COM/Mailman%20hosting%20services

Thank you for the tip.  I then looked at that list of services.  Some of
the websites don't work on GNU IceCat (probably because of proprietary
JavaScript or maybe JavaScript that is libre but lacks license tags).
Others were more promising, specially <https://www.mailmanlists.net>; in
its website I saw no JavaScript, let alone proprietary JavaScript (so it
works great on GNU IceCat and even on Emacs EWW) and they charge US$
40.80/year for a list of 26 to 1000 subscribers.  Still a bit more
expensive in Brazilian reais than I would like.

> For small mailing lists (say, if you are a group of 10 friends), note
> that many hosting companies offer basic mailing lists in association
> with a domain name and/or mailbox (often using ezmlm), so you can look
> for that too.

The smallest list would have ≃ 38 subscribers; the other would have more
than 100.  Anyway, I contacted a friend who hosts the website of my
wife's clinic and asked if he can host the two lists for a small price.
He said he already "has" (I think he meant "rents") a Digital Ocean
server that could host the mailing list.  He is currently busy, but soon
we will talk more about this.

Regards!

--
- https://stallmansupport.org "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.