re: federated free software movement

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: re: federated free software movement
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 21:03:10 -0500 (EST)

I think that this would be a really good idea, as I see a great deal of overlap
between the motivations and ideals of the groups...  It might also be worth
reaching out to the 'maker' world as well since it also has a lot of
overlap....  I don't do Bird-noises or Mastodon, but think it is a good idea in
principle.

I think the only thing that might be an issue where the groups might need to
have a significant level of willingness to compromise is on the 'purity
requirements' (for lack of a better term)  I.e. both the OSHW and R2R folks
don't necessarily have big issues w/ using proprietary software / binary blobs
if it makes it possible to accomplish their ends of making cool objects (i.e. a
gizmo that is based on a RasPI) or fixing a device (i.e using a Windows based
proprietary programming tool)...  So while pointing out how Free software might
make it easier to make / fix things, the FLOSS enthusiasts would need to not be
hostile to the idea using software that we don't approve of...  This is sort of
like my comment that the RYF cert would be more popular / desirable if it
didn't prohibit mentioning compatibility w/ other non-free O/S's...

ART

<start Quote>
Message: 3