Re: federated free software movement

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 23:31:35 +0300

* Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net> [2021-11-14 22:17]:
> As such, coming at folks w/ an attitude of 'proprietary is evil and
> only Free solutions are acceptable' is not going to win friends...
> We need to be willing to say that partially free / open is better
> than totally locked down, even if it needs proprietary tools...

When somebody tells you "proprietary is evil" that is personal
choice. My friends are free to tell me "proprietary is best", and they
remain my friends. That I consider conversation.

Which pair of underwear they wear, or if they wear at all, is their
personal choice.

On other hand, I have personal practical experiences where I didd win
friends, even money because of that motto "proprietary is evil, free
software is only acceptable". True. So much good time we have spent
together.

In the free software movement free software was always supported be it
partially or fully. Most of the time of the GNU history there was
partially free software until GNU/Linux distributions came, and long
thereafter those distributions are still partially free, including
today.

That allows many choices for many people.

But you can't expect from LibrePlanet to endorse proprietary software
in order to "win friends" as it contradiction to the purposes of
LibrePlanet.

LibrePlanet is not to endorse partially free operating systems. Those
are personal choices.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman