Re: federated free software movement

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 23:26:11 +0300

* Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net> [2021-11-14 22:17]:
> As I said, I was only using 'purity' for lack of a better term...
> One of the issues that I see is that there isn't always a Free (as
> in source code, might or might not be free as in beer) solution, or
> one that doesn't involve significant sacrifices...

It is obviously personality that decides.

You see it that way, I see it slightly different.

I cannot relate to "significant sacrifices" experience.

Since 1999 I am user of GNU/Linux and since then I feel liberated.

> As one example we know there is a lot of PC hardware that either
> only works w/ binary blobs, or where the Free drivers don't work as
> well as the non-free ones...  Or hardware like the RasPi that is
> nominally open, but needs blobs for some of it's functions.

That is why I make choices of hardware before software. Not other way
around.

> The programming software for my power chair (which is bootleg /
> pirated BTW) only runs on a Windows box, and is closed source....

Pirate it better and install GNU/Linux 🏴‍☠️

Nobody says "use only free software" and I did not see any hostility
in GNU or in free software movements, I actually have not see in
mailing list participation that kind of attitude towards people who
use proprietary software.

That is personal choice.

You find needs for it, and compromise with it, or call it how you
wish, you are using it.

I am not using proprietary software except the BIOS that I cannot
easily replace myself.

Dark Wader had doubts too.

It is just personal choice.

Jean