People calling the GPLs 'evil licenses' - action plan?

From: andrew
Subject: People calling the GPLs 'evil licenses' - action plan?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 23:52:50 +0800

Andrew  Would https://git.andrewyu.org/pygame-multiplayer/ suffice to indicate
extending an existing Expat (MIT) project into a project based on the original
work but licensed under the (A)GPL?
Andrew  ugh, forgot to place the agpl in it
ChrisWarrick    ask a lawyer
ChrisWarrick    (and consider a less evil license)
Andrew  Not asking for legal advice, just general practice
Andrew  And I don't consider the GPLs to be evil, I use  them for bigger
projects while I use public domain (unlicense) for smaller ones
ChrisWarrick    licenses are legal stuff, so you are asking for legal advice
Andrew  asking stuff like 'does the US have any laws' is legal but isn't asking
for legal advice imo
ChrisWarrick    your question is “am I interpeting and using the license
correctly”
Andrew  i guess
Andrew  and why do you think the gpl is evil?
ChrisWarrick    GPL, and especially AGPL, makes your code less free than MIT/BSD
nedbat  Andrew: this is a classic debate
Andrew  ChrisWarrick: PM me, thanks
Andrew  because I want to prevent people from proprietizing it
ChrisWarrick    but at the same time, you’re benefitting from Brandon Nguyen’s
work
Andrew  yes
ChrisWarrick    but he isn’t able to benefit from yours
Andrew  they could use the AGPL/GPL, and they could ask me for an exception
Andrew  the greater danger is people taking expat code and proprietizing it,
hindering free use altogether
ChrisWarrick    what is wrong with proprietary use though?
Andrew  i'll get back to you with an article tomorrow, thanks on your thoughts
Andrew  meanwhile,
https://lukesmith.xyz/articles/why-i-use-the-gpl-and-not-cuck-licenses explains
part of it
Andrew  dont agree to all of it, i see a lot of use of permissive licenses, but
not for the project working on now
ChrisWarrick    do you have a less offensive article?
Andrew  I'm working on that
ChrisWarrick    okay

I hope this is clear enough on what I need ... well, how do I explain
the GPL to them?