Re: People calling the GPLs 'evil licenses' - action plan?

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: Re: People calling the GPLs 'evil licenses' - action plan?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:26:17 +0000

   Just a thought about rhetorical approach and wording: the phrase
   "proprietary fork" could be useful. Also, center the viewpoint of
   prospective contributors.
   "A permissive license allows software companies or other entities to
   make a proprietary fork of a project. This means someone (Developer A)
   could generously contribute code, then Microsoft (say) could take the
   project, add their own enhancements, and release a competing version.
   Developer A contributed expecting she would benefit from others'
   contributions, yet she is walled off from Microsoft's contributions.
   She's being played, basically. We want to choose a license that
   encourages participation, and we think guaranteeing access to future
   contributions without the possibility of a proprietary fork best serves
   that.
   "It's obvious why proprietary software companies prefer that projects
   use permissive licenses, but when picking a license, I'm not
   particularly concerned with what Google, Microsoft, or Apple prefer, or
   what best integrates with their software stack."
   I add this second bit because I think there's "word on the street" that
   permissive licenses are more popular and preferred by more, um,
   entities. But this is like gossip ("people are saying... "). Trace this
   to origin and I think we would find a few big players loudly and
   consistently slandering strong licenses.
   Jim Garrett

   On May 17, 2022 10:15:15 PM EDT, Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net>