Re: Question of Aiding and Abetting Proprietary (or non-free) Software i

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Re: Question of Aiding and Abetting Proprietary (or non-free) Software in GNU projects
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:55:01 +0900

I mentioned something similar in a Guix mailing list but my opinion is this,
quoting what I heard from someone else:

Ideas divide us but necessity unites us.

If Free Software is indeed indispensable (which I think it is), then we do
everything to fulfill it.   I understand now that there are both optimists and
pessimists regarding the mixed usage (and we haven't even talked about the
hardware itself?) of Free and Non-Free.  I am definately an optimist here but
Is it possible to put these ideas aside as a matter of academic interest for
those who have the time?

Ironically as it may be, where there is an overwhelming majority of pessimists,
the optimists who wish to openly discuss how to mix free and non-free are
forced to create a separate community (which will welcome everyone, including
the pessimists).

-Yasu