Re: [libunwind] libunwind for powerpc?

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] libunwind for powerpc?
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:44:05 -0800

  Nemura> I've been using libunwind on IA64 and its great stuff.

Thanks!  Very much appreciated!

  Nemura> But for ppc we're stuck with backtrace()/dladdr() and it
  Nemura> just doesn't cut it.  Wondering if anyone has already or is
  Nemura> planning to port libunwind for powerpc architecture?

I have thought about it, but since I know very little about PPC,
haven't really seriously considered it.  Having said that, adding
support for a DWARF2-based platforms is quite simple.  The x86{,-64}
and PA-RISC support could serve as a template.

The major caveat for a DWARF2-based unwinder at the moment:

 1) no dynamic unwind info support
 2) no caching of unwind-info (a performance-, not a correctness-issue)
 3) I'm not entirely happy with how some of the internals of the DWARF
    unwinder work (mostly around the use of the unw_proc_info_t) and
    I'd like to address that in the not-so-distant future; of course,
    if I do so, I'll try to update all platforms supported by libunwind,
    so this is more of a heads-up rather than a real issue.

Are you willing to take a stable at adding PPC support for libunwind?
If there were support for Mac OS X, I probably could even find a
machine to do the occasional sanity-checking for PPC.