Re: [libunwind] Libunwind would not make- HELP !!!!

From: Keith Owens
Subject: Re: [libunwind] Libunwind would not make- HELP !!!!
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:46:26 +1100

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:45:09 -0800,
James E Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 04:48, Earl wrote:
>> Operation System: Red Hat Linux Advance Server 2.1
>> Gcc version: gcc-2.96
>> Directory: /usr/bin/gcc
>
>gcc-2.96 was the first IA-64 gcc release, and is known to have lots of
>problems.  In particular, the ABI has changed significantly since then
>because we got a number of things wrong at the beginning.  The system
>will probably work fine, but if you want to upgrade anything (gcc,
>glibc, kernel) you are likely to run into compatibility problems.

Even if you can get libunwind built with this combination, I can
guarantee that you will get invalid results from unwinding based on gcc
2.96 data.  gcc 2.96 miscalculates the number of slots for the body of
functions that contain switch statements.  That causes bits of the
function to be outside the unwind size, any backtrace that goes through
such a location will generate garbage from that point onwards.