[Libunwind-devel] use_prev_instr breaking unwind - how to stop it?

From: Doug Moore
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] use_prev_instr breaking unwind - how to stop it?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:45:29 -0500

When unw_init_local uses common_init to set use_prev_instr, and then
fetch_proc_info decrements ip, based on use_prev_instr, unw_step fails for me.

I’m putting a temp break point at the start of _dl_runtime_resolve, and when
gdb gets there, I’m sending a signal to trigger a signal handler that invokes
unw_step.  What happens, sadly, is that the instruction pointer is decremented,
so the eh_frames search doesn’t find the right frame, so the step fails.

If only I could clear that use_prev_instr field.  So far, I don’t have any
better choices than to hack the libunwind source and maintain my own local
branch.  Are there any better ideas?

Doug