Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:43:53 +0200 (CEST)

>>> The location /usr/local/ is for user installations on BSD systems,
>>> there is for example /usr/local/texlive, so it seems natural.
>>
>> Well, I don't care enough to argue :-)
>
> Why not? :-) Here are some links:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/11544/what-is-the-difference-between-opt-and-usr-local
> https://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/pointcounterpoint-opt-vs-usrlocal

Well, the links you give just prove my point that `/opt/lilypond'
would be a better choice than `/usr/local/lilypond' – I don't want
mpkg to install into `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib', etc.
Instead, we have a complete bundle, with a separate directory
hierarchy.

Normally, the directory structure below `/usr/local' mimics `/usr'.
Having stuff like `/usr/local/texlive' is thus an exception, basically
violating FHS.  Not everyone likes it; see the thread starting at

  https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2015-September/037361.html

    Werner