Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:12:41 +0200

>>> Well, I don't care enough to argue :-)
>>
>> Why not? :-) Here are some links:
>>
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/11544/what-is-the-difference-between-opt-and-usr-local
>> https://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/pointcounterpoint-opt-vs-usrlocal
>
> Well, the links you give just prove my point that `/opt/lilypond'
> would be a better choice than `/usr/local/lilypond' – I don't want
> mpkg to install into `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib', etc.
> Instead, we have a complete bundle, with a separate directory
> hierarchy.

Not better necessarily, but what the standard suggests. But let’s follow it and
put it into /opt/lilypond/.

> Normally, the directory structure below `/usr/local' mimics `/usr'.
> Having stuff like `/usr/local/texlive' is thus an exception, basically
> violating FHS.  Not everyone likes it; see the thread starting at
>
>  https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2015-September/037361.html

The standard explicitly says it should not be there, but in /opt/. Also,
MacPorts is in /opt/local/ but should have been in /opt/macports/, as it
suggests /opt≮provider>/<package>.

But on the hand, I have never seen anything installing in /opt/ besides
MacPorts on MacOS. And also packages are put in /usr/local/.