Re: Replace deprecated functions from string module (issue 566920044 by

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Replace deprecated functions from string module (issue 566920044 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 13:30:15 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> On 2019/10/24 07:36:50, dak wrote:
>
>> git cl upload allows you to edit the message.  You can edit in a
>> suitably edited version of git log (typically I put something like
>> Contains commits: at the end of the principal text and then a lightly
>> edited list of reverse commit messages)
>
>> Tastes differ, but one has the opportunity to give more information.
>
> Yeah, messed this up I guess. I had expected that I only entered the
> cover description and that the separate commits would be uploaded as
> sub-revisions or something. Will pay more attention in the future.

That would be a reasonable expectation given a Git-centric project tool.
But we are working with some Google tools on a code review site created
for Subversion and have migrated the Google code part more or less to
SourceForge as a stopgap measure before managing self-hosting on the
Free version of its software, a step that we never managed due to a lack
of manpower and ongoing resource needs.  All the while having the
repository itself on Savannah.

So it turns out that a few things that would be obvious candidates for
automation just aren't up to scratch.

On the plus side, "messed this up" seems way overblown for "didn't score
a perfect 10 in a quagmire I got into for the first time".  Our
procedures tend to avoid annoying more than one person at a time, so
it's pretty uncommon that tempers flare up.

--
David Kastrup