Re: tie over clef change

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: tie over clef change
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 08:06:26 -0400

On Sep 27, 2020, at 16:49, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So, I've tried to follow this thread, but with 35 messages, this is becoming
> difficult...
>
> Could someone make a short summary of what is at stake here? What should we
> decide?

The thread has veered into musicology, which is unnecessary, since LilyPond's
input language already has ways to express both ties and slurs as the composer
or editor intends.

The question is (approximately) for a non-horizontal tie, is it practically
acceptable to have the engraver create a Slur grob instead of a Tie grob, or
would it be better to expand the Tie interface so that it can be adjusted like
a Slur, or would it be better to create an entirely new type of grob, or …?

I think (not having tested it) that coding with both a tie and a slur and using
\once \omit Tie might work around the issue in cases where slurs are not
already involved.

The decision isn't so much "thus shall it be" as "assuming any of these could
be made to work (which might not be true), which would be preferred?"
—
Dan