Re: tie over clef change

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: tie over clef change
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 09:35:16 -0700

On 2020-09-26 9:04 am, Dan Eble wrote:
On Sep 26, 2020, at 09:41, Dan Eble <dan@faithful.be> wrote:

On Sep 26, 2020, at 08:55, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

Despite Gould's “incorrect” verdict, here is an example from an old UE
edition of Liszt's “Liebestraum No. 1”, which demonstrates that ties
over clef changes *do* happen and make sense sometimes...

I still think that LilyPond should support that, handling the tie like
a slur in this case.

That's a very good example. It's hard to imagine any reasonable alternative.

What kind of grob would an editor expect here? a Tie because it connects notes of the same pitch, or a Slur because it connects notes at different staff positions? (or something else?)

I'll answer my own question.  A tie from d♯ to e♭ generates a Tie
grob, so for consistency, this should be a Tie that looks like a slur.

An idea: Could Tie gain a new Boolean property that controls whether to slope a Tie or keep it horizontal when the end points do not share the same Y position? That would give the user an easy way to have both options.

A more complex idea: This new property could be a number-pair? that provides even more control over the Y position of the ends. Each number is an index value (e.g. LEFT, CENTER, RIGHT). If the value is LEFT, then it is the left note's Y position that is used; RIGHT maps to the right note's Y position; and CENTER is the average of the two values. (Technically, any index value could be used to interpolate the Y positions.) Simple horizontal ties that stick to the left note would use #'(-1 . -1), and #'(1 . 1) would hug the right note. #'(-1 . 1) would slope the Tie like a Slur.

-- Aaron Hill