Re: Parts with differing volta brackets

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: Parts with differing volta brackets
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 14:59:38 +0100

On 08/12/2020 14:08, Dan Eble wrote:
> I request comment on http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=872.
>
> The description is "If you have a set of parts to build a score, but they
> differ in the \repeat volta and \alternative layout, it is a good idea to
> display them parallel in one score. . . ."
>
> The fact that the parts are out of sync with each other makes this hard for
> me to read.
That was my impression as well. From a performer's perspective it's also
a very likely source of communication issues eating into rehearsal time.

> I would instead add bracketed alternatives to all parts even if some of them
> have no internal differences.
That's more or less the usual convention found in older (orchestral)
scores. I'd find it more useful to have some automatic mechanism for
expanding "plain" repeats into \alternative blocks as needed when
combining individual parts into a score.

Regards,
Martin