Re: Parts with differing volta brackets

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: Parts with differing volta brackets
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 20:14:45 +0100

On 08/12/2020 17:03, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> I would try moving the bar line engraver to the staff level
>
> Yes, that was my point! ;)  As I understood, Dan was asking for a “compelling
> case” to have a single score with voltas that don’t match vertically — seems
> like this is one, no?

Hi Kieren,

Well, yes and no. For me the notational "challenge" in your example is
how to represent a variable flow of music in individual parts as clearly
as possible, while in the one Dan referred to it's about representing a
flow structure that's differing between individual parts but is
otherwise static. (Actually the structure itself doesn't even differ
between the parts.) I'd argue that the "solution" referred to in Dan's
original message just obfuscates things while expanding the
\alternatives for all parts would clearly communicate the intent (and be
in line with common notational practice) at the price of increasing the
length of the score somewhat. Having some mechanism doing this
automatically would certainly be useful for a significant class of
conventional scores, but as far as I'm aware of potential pitfalls and
corner cases not really straightforward to implement. But that's
certainly beyond the original question anyway. (And judging by Dan's
reply I might quite likely misunderstood the intent behind his question...)

Martin