Re: A basic question of Lilypond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: A basic question of Lilypond
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 06:27:11 +0100 (CET)

> Using Arabic numerals for pitches in LilyPond seems like a world of
> pain, [...]

Well, it was used in Europe, too, called the 'Galin-Paris-Chevé'
system:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbered_musical_notation

and the results done with LilyPond look quite good:

  https://ssb22.user.srcf.net/mwrhome/jianpu-ly.html

However, some native support within LilyPond (having a direct
translation from LilyPond's note input mode to jianpu without using
Silas's python script) would certainly help.

  https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3332

> but I wonder whether a set of pitch names using Chinese characters
> would be a useful substitute.

No, it's not.

   Werner