Reducing the number of open issues

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Reducing the number of open issues
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 20:10:08 +0100

Hi all,

there are currently 1066 open issues at LilyPond's GitLab repository:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues

I'd like to reduce this number: In the short term, I propose to close
issues with ~Patch::abandoned (69 open issues) and ~Patch::needs_work
(73 open issues) labels that come from patch tracking with SourceForge.
They will stay around (including their links to Rietveld, as long as it
stays alive), but not artificially increase the number of "issues".
The caveat is that I remember some real problem reports with proposed
patches, that were abandoned during review. I'll keep those issues open
because they might need fixing either way.

Any objections to this plan?

In the longer term, I think it could make sense to hold a "bug bash
weekend" and try to pick some low-hanging fruits. That would not be
limited to developers to write patches, but everybody to try and
reproduce old reports with the then-current unstable release and close
issues that are no longer relevant. Let me know if this sounds
interesting and you'd be prepared to participate.

Cheers
Jonas