Re: Reducing the number of open issues

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Reducing the number of open issues
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 23:58:18 +0100

Le 17/03/2021 à 20:10, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :

Hi all,

there are currently 1066 open issues at LilyPond's GitLab repository:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues

I'd like to reduce this number: In the short term, I propose to close
issues with ~Patch::abandoned (69 open issues) and ~Patch::needs_work
(73 open issues) labels that come from patch tracking with SourceForge.
They will stay around (including their links to Rietveld, as long as it
stays alive), but not artificially increase the number of "issues".
The caveat is that I remember some real problem reports with proposed
patches, that were abandoned during review. I'll keep those issues open
because they might need fixing either way.

Any objections to this plan?
Agreed, I think it makes no sense to keep these issues
open. I would guess that in nearly all cases, it's
better to start fresh patches. If you're willing to
put in the effort to start new issues when the old
patch-tracking ones indicate a bug, I'm all for it.

In the longer term, I think it could make sense to hold a "bug bash
weekend" and try to pick some low-hanging fruits. That would not be
limited to developers to write patches, but everybody to try and
reproduce old reports with the then-current unstable release and close
issues that are no longer relevant. Let me know if this sounds
interesting and you'd be prepared to participate.

This message made me feel guilty about my
promised fix for #6093 which got lost in
other concerns... (Patch now at
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/690.)

At any rate: this does sound sensible to me. I see
a lot of this low-hanging fruit in the tracker;
here are some examples that come to mind:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3345
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6076
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6086

There are also platform-specific issues, where we
might get information from users being able to
reproduce the problem or not in different configurations
I'm thinking of
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6101
here.

I currently have extremely limited time; this should
get better by July or something like that. I'd be
willing to participate in such an initiative then.

Thanks,
Jean