Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 02:42:37 +0000

On 10/17/19, 7:46 PM, "Chris Crossen" <address@hidden> wrote:

    > On Oct 17, 2019, at 5:29 PM, Chris Crossen <address@hidden> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, Carl - I haven’t upgraded to Catalina myself for exactly that
reason (and Lilypond is my only significant 32-bit app!). I’ll see if I can
work out how to use Hans’s version.
    >> Allan
    >
    > I have Catalina installed on a Mac laptop. I downloaded the installer and
am running it now. I’ll report back when I have some results to share.

    The install was successful. I didn’t know where it installed, but found it
in /opt/lilypond .

That's where it was supposed to be.

    It successfully generated a correct-looking pdf and midi (I’ll verify them
tomorrow) from a single source file (no includes but english.ly). The file was
already version 2.19. I’ll try using convert-ly and more complex files tomorrow.

Yes, it was made from the latest development release, 2.19.83

    Since this may not be of general interest, please give me some guidance on
whether to continue posting to the group or confine it to those interested.

 Please report your experiences.

Here's some test code that has been known to fail on 32-bit lilypond
executables, but succeed on 64-bit linux executables.

%%%% Start of code

\version "2.19.82"
{
  \time 4/4
  \repeat unfold 1000 { c4 d e f } % TEN PAGES of music
  \repeat unfold 1000 { f1 } % + SIX MORE PAGES of music
  \repeat unfold 1000 { c4 d e f } % BUT WHEN ADDING MORE PAGES, fail NOW
}

%%%%% End of code

I expect it to work, but it would be nice to get a confirmation.

It's nice to know that this package can be installed.

Thanks,

Arl