Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:04:34 +0000

On 10/17/19, 5:38 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

    Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

    > On 10/17/2019 5:10 PM, Allan Kinnaird via lilypond-user wrote:
    >> I believe that the real question is when a 64-bit Mac binary will
    >> appear on lilypond.org <http://lilypond.org> - I would expect
    >> v2.20.0 or thereabouts. Does anyone have a solid timetable?
    >
    > My current understanding is this:
    >
    > There is a conflict between Apple's Software License Agreement for the
    > XCode software needed to build 64-bit Mac binaries, and the GNU
    > General Public License that LilyPond uses.

    No, it is a conflict between Apple's Software License Agreement for the
    XCode software needed to build 64-bit Mac binaries, and the GNU General
    Public License that GUB, the build system we use for generating the
    binaries downloadable from our web site.

    Use of software not allowed to run on non-Apple hardware for building
    the binaries we offer is also arguably incompatible with the GNU
    maintainer guidelines objecting to the promotion of non-free software on
    webpages for GNU software.

Do you believe that it is impermissible for us to offer a binary compiled using
XCode on lilypond.org?  For example, if Marnen were able to get a 64-bit
lilypond.app binary compiled using MacStadium and agreed to provide it for
every release, do you believe we would legally or morally be prevented from
hosting this binary on lilypond.org.

If you do believe we would legally or morally be prevented from hosting this
binary on lilypond.org, do you believe we would be legally or morally be
prevented from providing a link to a download hosted elsewhere?

If I were to develop a website that hosted Marnen's build, do you believe we
would be legally or morally prevented from providing a link to my website,
which then had a link to download Marnen's build?

Assuming there is no free version of the software needed from XCode, do you
believe there is any legally and morally permissible way for lilypond.org to
point someone to available 64-bit Mac binaries?

I'm asking these questions not to complain or cause problems, but just to find
out where you think the legal and moral boundaries are for sharing a 64-bit Mac
binary.

Thanks,

Carl