Re: VLC versions was Re:Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: VLC versions was Re:Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:24:03 +0200

> Am 2019-10-19 um 13:55 schrieb Bill via lilypond-user <address@hidden>:
>

> this is what I get on command line when I type
> vlc --version:
>
> VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
>
> I'm on Linux Mint 18.? can I really be that far behind.  I did try to import
> a midi file and it couldn't play it nor could it export it as an mp3.

Current version is 3.0.8, see videolan.org

from https://wiki.videolan.org/Midi/:
"""
VLC media player can play Standard MIDI File (.MID) and RIFF MIDI (.RMI) files
since version 0.9.0.
Windows binary builds included MIDI support only in versions VLC media player
from 1.1.0 through 2.0.8. Starting from version 2.1.0, support was dropped due
to security issues. It was re-activated in VLC 3.0.0.
…
Linux
If the FluidSynth codec is not shown in VLC's preferences, you have to install
it as well as sound fonts. E.g. on Ubuntu 18.04 and derivatives it is in the
vlc-plugin-fluidsynthpackage, while the fluid-soundfont-gs and
fluid-soundfont-gm packages install some sound fonts in /usr/share/sounds/sf2.
"""

> 7.7    VLC from the usual sources does not work (in fact crashes some
> updates).
> 8.0    VLC is not available.

Don’t know where those come from.

Greetlings, Hraban