Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 20:03:35 +0000

23. Oktober 2019 21:59, "Michael Wagner" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> I am seeing some behavior I don’t understand. I have ended the music for
> “Silver Bells” into
> lilypond, and I am seeing a puzzling error.
>
> The song is in 3/4 time, but the rest in measure 33 seems to betaking 4 beats
> - I get a bar check
> failed and there are one two rests in measure 34, and an extra measure is
> inserted at the end.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> The offending r1 is on the 3rd line of the first branch of the alternative
> below - and if I change
> that r1 to “r4 r4 r4”, or to “r2.”, the issue goes away.

This is natural because an "r1" *is* a whole note rest taking four beats.

What you want to have is a full note rest that *looks* like an r1 but is
actually written with a capital "R" and the actual duration. So what you need
is R2.

You'll also notice that this one will (correctly) be centered in the measure
while the "r1" will sit at the left.

Urs