Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 22:08:57 +0200

Am 23.10.19 um 21:59 schrieb Michael Wagner:
I am seeing some behavior I don’t understand. I have ended the music for “Silver Bells” into lilypond, and I am seeing a puzzling error.

The song is in 3/4 time, but the rest in measure 33 seems to betaking 4 beats - I get a bar check failed and there are one two rests in measure 34, and an extra measure is inserted at the end.

What am I doing wrong?

“r1” means a whole (=4/4) rest, not a whole measure rest.

The offending r1 is on the 3rd line of the first branch of the alternative below - and if I change that r1 to “r4 r4 r4”,  or to “r2.”, the issue goes away.

Yes, “r2.” has the correct length. But you probably wanted to follow the engraving rule (as you should) and have a whole rest *symbol*. For that you have to tell LilyPond that it’s a *full measure* rest by using a capital R: “R2.” LilyPond will then use the correct symbol and center it horizontally.

You can read about full measure and multi measure rests here: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#full-measure-rests