Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 21:09:39 +0000

From: Michael Wagner <address@hidden>
Date: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 1:59 PM
To: <address@hidden>
Subject: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time

I am seeing some behavior I don’t understand. I have ended the music for “Silver Bells” into lilypond, and I am seeing a puzzling error.

The song is in 3/4 time, but the rest in measure 33 seems to betaking 4 beats - I get a bar check failed and there are one two rests in measure 34, and an extra measure is inserted at the end.

What am I doing wrong?

r1 is a whole-note (4/4) rest.

R1*3/4 or R2.  is a whole measure rest in ¾ time.

As you have identified, you can use “r2.” to get a ¾ note rest.  This rest will appear in the same note column as the first quarter note in the measure.  You can also use “R1*3/4” or “R2.” in ¾ time to get a ¾ note (whole measure) rest.  This rest will appear centered in the measure.  It is up to you to decide which you want.

At any rate, Lilypond has no rest that takes as an argument the number of measures the rest should occupy.  All rests, whether whole measure or regular, take as an argument the musical duration of the rest.

HTH,

Carl