Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:28:52 -0500

From: Michael Wagner <address@hidden>
Subject: Puzzled about r1 issue in 3/4 time
Date: October 23, 2019 at 2:59:06 PM CDT

I am seeing some behavior I don’t understand. I have ended the music for “Silver Bells” into lilypond, and I am seeing a puzzling error.

The song is in 3/4 time, but the rest in measure 33 seems to betaking 4 beats - I get a bar check failed and there are one two rests in measure 34, and an extra measure is inserted at the end.

What am I doing wrong?

The most serious thing you’re doing wrong is not submitting an MWE to illustrate your problem, e.g.:

\version “2.18.2”
{ \time 3/4 r1 | r1 }

The next most serious thing you’re doing wrong is not reading the documentation, e,g, since you’re having a problem with rests, section 1.2.2 “Writing Rests” of the Notation RM has a subsection called “Full Measure Rests”.  So the way to fix your problem is to write:

\version “2.18.2”
{ \time 3/4 R2. | R2. }

(You might also upgrade to version 2.19.83, which is very stable and fixes a lot of problem that existed in version 2.18.2)