Re: Using rumor with Docker container on MacOS

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Using rumor with Docker container on MacOS
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 07:25:15 +0100

> Am 2019-10-28 um 02:34 schrieb Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>
> I have a friend who has seen my lilypond work and would like to get involved
> with lilypond.
>
> He would like to use a MIDI keyboard, rather than the keyboard, to be able to
> input music.
>
> Frescobaldi with rumor appears to meet his needs, except for the fact that
> rumor is only supported on Linux systems, and he uses MacOS
>
> I have seen no MacPorts or Homebrew solutions for using rumor.  So I was
> hoping to set up rumor to use with one of the Docker containers for LilyDev
> (preferably the lilypond container, rather than the lilydev container).
>
> I have never used Docker before, but I was able to get it set up with a few
> false starts (thanks, Federico!).
>
> Could somebody (maybe Federico) give me some pointers on how I might add
> rumor to a Docker container?  Or maybe set up a new Docker container?  Since
> rumor doesn't add the music into Lilypond files, as I understand it, but
> instead creates music to be pasted into a lilypond source file, I think I
> could use rumor in a Docker container, and paste the results of a rumor run
> into a Frescobaldi window.
>
> Anyway, if anybody could give me a brief synopsis of how I would go about it
> (or even better, if somebody knows of a Docker setup, Homebrew cask, or
> MacPorts portfile that supports rumor), could you please let me know?

Did you try to just compile it on OSX?

I see it depends on guile-2.0 (that might be a conflict with LilyPond, but you
can probably have several versions installed) and ALSA (which is also not
available on MacPorts, and I don’t know if it would work on OSX, since it
probably conflicts with the sound drivers of macOS).

I guess an additional problem might be that Apple severely restricts hardware
access, e.g. I can’t access USB-Serial for programming microcontrollers,
because Apple only allows signed drivers on current systems, even while there’s
no driver necessary. Don’t know if that applies to ALSA or USB-MIDI, but I
suppose.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle