changing rhythmic representation to align 8ths with 4ths

From: bart deruyter
Subject: changing rhythmic representation to align 8ths with 4ths
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:29:23 +0100

Hello all,

Working on writing down a renaissance piece, tablature combined with regular notation, I'm stumbling on the rhythm issue.

For example, I have this piece where I've written everything in 2/8, to get the correct rhythmic representation in my renaissance tablature, but I want the modern notation, in 2/4.

So far I got to this:
rhythm-tabs.png
The tablature can easily be changed to 8ths manually, but the rhythm notation should be in 2/8 to keep the flags correct as in the original.
The rhythm values are in a separate 'variable', and I already found http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms
which led me to experiment like this:

\version "2.23.0"
music = \relative c' {c'4 c c c }
musicTwo = \relative c' {c'8 c c c }
\score {
  <<
  \new Staff {\time 4/4 \music}
  \new Staff {\time 4/8 \musicTwo}

  \layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Timing_translator"
    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
  }}
}

But this results in a situation where the 8ths are not lined up as 4ths, which is what I need.

Anyone here who knows how it might be done?

thanks,
Bart