Re: changing rhythmic representation to align 8ths with 4ths

From: Christian Masser
Subject: Re: changing rhythmic representation to align 8ths with 4ths
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 11:14:15 +0100

Hi Bart, Lukas!

Wow! I was just about to write, that with all the black magic people on this list do with scheme, doing the rhythm translation manually shouldn't be necessary, and before I click send you do it in one command. :D Didn't even knew the \shiftDurations-command, guess I should study the reference a little bit.

Just to add it for documentary reasons: What you try to achieve is in fact polymetric notation, even if it doesn't look as fancy as 3/4 against 9/8, which ironically is well documented in the same link you already found - just a little bit further down.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#polymetric-notation

All the best
Christian

Am Di., 23. März 2021 um 11:04 Uhr schrieb Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de>:

> But in fact, I think one does not need to shift the Timing_translator
> to the staff context at all: It should suffice to use \scaleDurations
> and a manual tweak of the displayed time signature for one staff.

That was easier than I had expected:

\version "2.23.0"

musicOneSizeFitsAll = \relative c'
{
   \time 4/8
   c'8 d16 c b8 c \tuplet 3/2 { d8 f e } d4( c2)
}

\score {
   <<
     \new Staff {