Re: Help for Lilypond?

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: Help for Lilypond?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 21:36:22 +0100

On 24 Mar 2021, at 20:19, fmaurer <frmaurer99@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there! Is this group where I can get help to get Lilypond up and running?
I installed LP, opened it and got to the 'Welcome to LilyPond' screen. I followed the instructions and created a copy of the file on the desktop and dragged the file onto the LilyPond icon but no pdf file got created. Instead I got  a test.log and a test-tmp-9016347 file on the desktop. I opened the log file and it had the following in it...

Processing `C:/Users/frmau/Desktop/test.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Converting to `/Users/frmau/Desktop/test.pdf'...

Ant idea how to get it going?
OS: Windows 10

Thanks
Frank

Frank,

As I saw more of these cries for help with similar issues (and yours clearly wouldn't fit in my first assumption for the previous mails that spaces in the file path would be the root cause) decided to give it a spin on my windows environment and could replicate your symptoms. The 3rd file you see is actually the PostScript file that would be input to the process that builds the PDF, but that final step fails without any indication of failure.

The issues appears to be related to the working directory for the lilypond shortcut (the shared public desktop C:\Users\Public\Desktop, writeable only for administrators).

Easiest way out for now: don't drag-and-drop-on-shortcut as instructed by the readme, but just double-click on the test.ly file (typically shown on the desktop as simply 'test' with a quaver icon as Windows by default hides the extension)

That should according to my experimentation yield you a proper test.pdf

Another solution which allows the drag-and-drop workflow to work would be to change the working folder of the LilyPond shortcut to your user desktop (assuming your user will be the only user using LilyPond

kind regards,
Hans