Grace note spacing & alignment in score

From: Michael Seifert
Subject: Grace note spacing & alignment in score
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:03:41 -0400

        Hello everyone,

        I’m working on a score transcription project, and I’m having some
trouble getting “nice” grace note placement in a section involving a piano part
and a double bass.

        Specifically, if I use the default settings in the snippet below, the
grace notes in the piano part cause extra space to be inserted between two of
the eighth notes in the bass line.  This makes the rhythm harder to read for
the conductor.

        If, on the other hand, I use the "\override
SpacingSpanner.strict-grace-spacing = ##t” line (currently commented out), then
the spacing of the bass line looks fine.  But the accidentals for the grace
notes collide with nearby noteheads, and the grace notes at the start of the
measure collide with the time signature (or, in other situations, the preceding
bar line).

        What I would like is for grace notes at the start of a bar to lead to
additional space insertion in other lines, but mid-bar arpeggios not to lead to
additional space insertion.  This is effectively the convention suggested in
Gould (p. 127–8), and it's also what’s done in the hand-engraved score I’m
transcribing (screenshots attached;  they also include a percussion part which
I’ve omitted from my MWE.)

        Any ideas on how to accomplish this?  Thanks in advance for your help!

        Mike Seifert
        Quaker Hill, CT, USA

JPEG image

JPEG image

Code follows:
—————————————————
\version "2.24.0"

RHpianonotes = {

\time 2/2
\clef bass

\relative c {
\transposition c'

\stemUp \change Staff = "lower" \grace { d,32( a' bes \change Staff = "upper"
\stemDown e f fis} a8) \stemNeutral r8 r4
r4 \stemUp \change Staff = "lower" \grace { d,,32( a' bes \change Staff =
"upper" \stemDown e f fis} a8) \stemNeutral r8

r2 \stemUp \change Staff = "lower" \grace { d,,32( a' bes \change Staff =
"upper" \stemDown e f fis} a8) \stemNeutral r8 r4

LHpianonotes = {

\time 2/2

\clef bass

\relative c {

\grace{s8.} s1*2

bassnotes = {

\relative c {

\clef bass
\time 2/2
\transposition c

\grace{s8.} fis'8->( f) d4 r8 \clef tenor a'8 b a
\tuplet 3/2 {c->( b) a} eis8. fis16 d4 r8 cis8~

\score{

\layout {
    \context {
      \Score
%         \override SpacingSpanner.strict-grace-spacing = ##t

<<

\new PianoStaff
<<
        \new Staff = "upper" {\RHpianonotes}