Re: Bow positions (sul pont, sul tasto) with transition arrows

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Bow positions (sul pont, sul tasto) with transition arrows
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:49:47 +0100

Hi Nate,

At 06:31 on 20 Jun 2023, Nate Whetsell wrote:
> Hi,

> I’m trying to figure out the “right” (most flexible, best looking) way
> to put bow positions like sul pont and sul tasto (really their
> abbreviations s.p. and s.t.) above a staff with transition arrows,
> like in Gould’s Behind Bars p. 407. Here are some things I’ve tried:

> • Use a TextSpanner
> (https://lilypond.org/doc/Documentation/notation/line-spanners), as
> suggested at
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-12/msg00347.html.
> This has the advantage of being relatively simple to use. Some
> disadvantages are that the text at the ends of the arrow tends to be
> misaligned (although this can be fixed with some hacks), and the
> line-breaking behavior can produce unreadable results.

I've generally come to the conclusion that TextSpanner is the most
flexible solution for this. My custom function include file is attached
- it contains some examples at the bottom (commented out by default). I
think the text alignments are fixed. I'm not sure what problems you're
having with line-breaking - perhaps the list can help with those?

Regards,

Mark

Mark Knoop