Re: Bow positions (sul pont, sul tasto) with transition arrows

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Bow positions (sul pont, sul tasto) with transition arrows
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:52:17 -0400

Hi Nate,

> I’m trying to figure out the “right” (most flexible, best looking) way to put
> bow positions like sul pont and sul tasto (really their abbreviations s.p.
> and s.t.) above a staff with transition arrows, like in Gould’s Behind Bars
> p. 407. Here are some things I’ve tried:
>
> • Use a TextSpanner
> (https://lilypond.org/doc/Documentation/notation/line-spanners), as suggested
> at https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-12/msg00347.html.
> This has the advantage of being relatively simple to use. Some disadvantages
> are that the text at the ends of the arrow tends to be misaligned (although
> this can be fixed with some hacks), and the line-breaking behavior can
> produce unreadable results.

Can I ask why you don’t use the broken parameter(s) for that? e.g.

\score {
  \new Staff \relative {
    <<
      {
        \override TextSpanner.style = #'line
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.text = ##f
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = \markup {
          \italic "sul tasto"
          % \hspace #0.25
        }
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.arrow = ##t
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.arrow = ##f
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text = ##f
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = \markup \italic "norm."
        s1\startTextSpan s s\stopTextSpan
      }

      { c'1~1~ \break 1 }

Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.