Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.2.99.4

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.2.99.4
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:12:04 +0100

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:08:30 +0100
Chris Vine <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:37:59 +0200
> address@hidden wrote:
> > I downloaded the tarball and compiled on a Linux Debian Squeeze box.
> >
> > Good news:
> > Linphone-3 is able to register to ekiga.net, I call address@hidden I
> > am called back by address@hidden, so I assume that Linphone-3 is able
> > to call and receive calls.
> >
> > Bad news:
> > I have no voice audio. I am pretty sure the audio setup of this
> > Linux box is OK since Twinkle and Ekiga work properly and I can
> > hear the ring of Linphone when I am called back and when I test the
> > ring from Preferences - Multimedia settings. I tried to fiddle
> > whith the codec priorities (this had been succesful with version
> > 3.2.1) but with no success. Is there some way to trouleshoot this
> > problem?
>
> For me, with linphone-3.2.99.4 I can receive audio OK from most sites,
> but oddly not from address@hidden (although it will register with
> ekiga.net).  However, no audio is sent, whatever provider I am
> registered with.
>
> This is with a set-up which does not use pulseaudio.  I have not tried
> to see what happens if pulseaudio is installed.
>
> linphone-3.2.1 works fine, although it will not connect with
> ekiga.net.

I am glad to say that with linphone-3.2.99.7 I can now register with
ekiga.net correctly and I can also exchange video by calling
address@hidden

Audio transmission and reception also works correctly if I plug in an
external microphone. However, linphone-3.2.99 will not pick up my
netbook's internal microphone. All other programs requiring capture
input will detect when an external microphone is present or not,
including linphone-3.2.1, but linphone-3.2.99 will not do this.  I
notice also that the first few lines of the debug window after starting
the program have this:

message: Registering all filters...
message: Registering all soundcard handlers
message: Card ALSA: default device added
warning: Could not attach mixer to card: Invalid argument
message: Card ALSA: HDA Intel added
message: Card OSS: /dev/dsp added
message: Registering all webcam handlers
message: Webcam V4L2: /dev/video0 added
message: Webcam V4L: /dev/video0 added
message: Webcam StaticImage: Static picture added
message: Loading plugins
message: Loading plugin
/opt/gnome2/lib/mediastreamer/plugins/libmsx264.so.0.0.0...
message: Plugin loaded
(/opt/gnome2/lib/mediastreamer/plugins/libmsx264.so.0.0.0)
message: Loading plugin
/opt/gnome2/lib/mediastreamer/plugins/libmsilbc.so.0.0.0...
message: Plugin loaded
(/opt/gnome2/lib/mediastreamer/plugins/libmsilbc.so.0.0.0)
message: ms_init() done

The fourth line says "Could not attach mixer to card: Invalid argument".
This may or may not have something to do with it, but as I say an
external microphone works fine, including the capture volume, as does
the received audio.

I am using the ALSA HDA Intel interface (ie neither OSS nor pulseaudio).

Thanks for all your work on this.

Chris