Re: [Linphone-users] processor for linphone-android video calss

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] processor for linphone-android video calss
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:12:30 +0100

On 09/20/2011 02:54 PM, Rasool Maleki wrote:
Dear all,
Hope that all is well with you,

Does linphone-android video calls work on  a processor newer than ARMv7
e.g. ARM9 or ARM11 or not?
(according to the android.org <http://android.org> it supports video
calls on phones using an ARMv7 processor with NEON instruction set
(nexus, samsung galaxy, htc desire ...). but isn`t it
forward-compatible?, Is ARMv7 the only processor that can support video
calls?)

The ARM core family vs. instruction set thing can be a bit confusing...

ARM11 cores uses ARMv6 instructions - this covers most cheap android phones. More expensive ones have Cortex cores which use ARMv7 and sometimes NEON. Tegra2 notably doesn't have NEON.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

I've never tried video calls on my cheap phone so I can't comment on whether it works though.