Re: [Linphone-users] how to install belle-sip-1.3.0 package on the ubunt

From: J G Miller
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] how to install belle-sip-1.3.0 package on the ubuntu 14.04 64bit?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 02:39:43 +0200

At 10:39h, on Tuesday, June 24, 2014,
in message <address@hidden>,
on the subject of "Re: [Linphone-users] how to install belle-sip-1.3.0 package
on the ubuntu 14.04 64bit?",
Kl Trm explained -

 > I located the folders in the homefolder. I do not know if that matters?

It matters if linphone cannot find the shared libraries at run time because the
shared libraries are not
installed to standard locations and the locations are not included in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

But the use of libtool in the building and installation process may have taken
care of this.

 > At some point, a message said zrtp will not be installed.

You need to explicitly tag  "--enable-zrtp" on to the configure command, and
review configure
output and config.log for verification that it finds where you have installed
it or not.

 > After the installation, I saw no start icon in the menu.

It is not the job of the installation routine to put icons in the start menu.
This is not Windoze.
The installation procedure does put a desktop file under
share/applications/linphone.desktop but
obviously it is the job of whatever window manager / desktop you are running to
make use of that,
and if it is not in the standard place but somewhere in your home directory,
how do you expect
your window manager / desktop to know to look there unless you tell it by means
of the appropriate
environmental variable, perhaps XDG_DATA_DIRS

> And how to start linphone in terminal, I do not know.

As with launching any program under GNU/Linux it is the name of the executable
preceeded
by the path if it is in some directory not included in your PATH environmental
variable, eg

      ${HOME}/some_directory/some_sub_directory/linphone &

 > In the synaptic package manager linphone 3.7.0 is not listed as installed.

Of course not why would you expect it to be, when it has not been isntalled as
a deb package?

 > I conclude, that I was not able to install linphone.

Sounds to me that it was installed but you just do not know how to launch it.

 > What does that mean? Are there settings to be made?

It means that i) a suitable Jave exectuable must be installed and ii) that
your PATH environmental variable must include the directory where it is
installed.

I suggest your do some reading about Unix/Linux basics.

           <http://www.linfo.org/path_env_var.html>