Re: [Linphone-users] Dummies question on Push Notification

From: Ronildo Quadros
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Dummies question on Push Notification
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:46:47 -0300

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
I will check on the solution ejabberd uses and, at least, follow with the Unified Push alternative.
Best Regards.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 10:59 PM Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:
Ronildo Quadros <rquadros.mi@gmail.com> writes:

> Now I need to set up a small community VOIP service, with no need,
> resources or budget to build our own mobile SIP client. So we planned on
> using linphone, but it seems I can't find a way to have our SIP Server
> generate PN when the client linphone is in background.
>
> At this point, all I can find tells me you can only send PN if you build
> your own app. Is that correct? I mean, every VOIP provider has to build and
> publish his "own" SIP client?

What people call push in this situation works by having the client
subscribe to an OS-specific push services, and then tell the SIP server
that it has done so.  Then the SIP server sends a wakeup via the push
service.  That's all fine, but the push systems seem to require that
push be done by 'apps' rather than servers and have per-app crypto.

belladone has chosen not to help work around this (and to be fair it
might cost them a bit).   This could be done by them (the official app
that registers with google/apple) hosting a push gateway and letting
your SIP server talk to it.

An example of how this works is ejabberd (for XMPP) where somehow, with
iOS jabber apps, a personal jabber server sends to someplace that
forwards to apple.

If the push gateways accepted requests from anyone with the right token,
this wouldn't be necessary.

You can probably build linphone yourself with just the push keys and
tokens changed, and use it with your server, after your server has
developer cert from apple and similar from google.

Or, you can implement Unified Push in your SIP server and in
linphone. That's really the right fix, longer term, but much harder.