liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] Mac OS X Client

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] Mac OS X Client
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:19:44 +0100

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:19:04AM -0800, Rib Rdb wrote:
> What I meant was, that it is a shell script, an icon,
> and a statically linked binary all wrapped up in the
> standard OS X package format.  There are also some
> extra things included - GPL; a quickly, badly written
> readme, and the POV Ray source for my icon.
OK, well, there's a "misc" directory in Liquid War source distribution,
it might be just perfect to put:
- the readme
- the povray stuff
- the shell script
The icon is already there 8-)

> Perhaps, if we can get other people to test my shell
> script, you could add the ability to make the OS X
> Application Bundle.
AFAIK the point in Free Software / Open Source is not to hold things
back until they are 100% ready. We can put the script in the source
distribution and tell people to try and test it if they like. When it
finally works good enough, we'll simply announce "Mac OS X support is
now as good as any other platform". Until then it's alpha/beta stuff and
will be marked as such. But I can't see any harm in distributing your
current script - unless you a good reason not to do so, I'm not forcing
you to release anything, just saying the best way to make it available to
Mac OS X users for testing is putting it in the source distrib 8-)

> As far as the format, .dmg is what Mac users will
> expect.   They mount it, read the license and readme,
> then copy the application to wherever they want to put
> it.  I created the .tar.gz so that non Mac people
> could see what I had done.
That's perfect IMHO. The .dmg for Mac people, and the .tar.gz for people
like me who might wish to view/analyse/debug the source. That's the
right choice I think.

> I'll see if I can update and be there.  If it works I
> can send you the binary.  Would you prefer the
> .tar.gz, .dmg, or both?
Anything 8-) Basically I need:
- all the files above (readme/povray stuff/shell script)
- the distributable .dmg
As I'm going to release 5.5.9 real real soon, the point might be
to send the readme+shell script ASAP, so that I can putit in the
misc directory. Then you'll have time to build a binary from the
5.5.9 source tree, and I'll put the .dmg online available for download.
Is that correct?

BTW, what name to you want me to add in the credits? Is "Rib Rdb" OK?

> I'm attaching the icon I made.  I can't attach the
> shell script becuase IE is being a dork, and yahoo!
> mail's javascript doesn't work with Apple's browser.
Well, can you simply copy/paste the readme and the shell script?
That would be cool if I could include these files in 5.5.9 source tree.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

PS: I like your icon, I might replace the ugly current one with yours,
or maybe add it as a "secondary" icon. Dunno much about icon support,
which is weird since it's never the same on different platforms...
Windows has its own way to deal with it, X11 handles black&white icons
only in native mode, Gnome/KDE/WMaker have their own way to handle the
stuff, and I bet Mac OS X also has its own home-made recipe to handle
this =8-)

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___