lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH: Assorted fixes for the CI builds

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH: Assorted fixes for the CI builds
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:56:52 +0000

On 6/12/22 22:14, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  I'd like to merge https://github.com/let-me-illustrate/lmi/pull/217

Ready to push after testing.

>  I hesitated to include a similar change to nychthemeral_test.sh, where it
> is also clearly going to be needed once you update to Wine 7, but I'm not
> set up to actually test it, so I didn't do it -- please let me know if
> you'd like me to do it or if you'll do it yourself.

Debian 'bookworm' still has wine-6.0.3~repack-1, so I can't test it
(unless I were to start using 'sid' as an alternative, but I don't
really want to do that now). But I'll make speculative changes, and
then test their sufficiency when I upgrade to wine-7, unless you want
to test them first.

Right now, only makefiles contain a definition of $(EXEEXT), but wine-7
apparently requires scripts to have a definition, too. I believe that it
should be handled the same way $PERFORM is handled, i.e., it should be
set OAOO in 'set_toolchain.sh' and then referenced as environment
variable $EXEEXT in scripts wherever $PERFORM is used.

IOW, we seek to establish that this command:
  git grep '\<PERFORM\>[^X]*$'
will find only 'export' or assignment statements. (The [^X] thing is
a simplistic negative lookahead for "EXEEXT".)

> I see that it's also
> needed for
>
> - XMLLINT definition in msw_generic.make

Yes, but, I believe, only for the commented-out definition:

 # Instead of requiring installation of the build system's own libxml2:
     XMLLINT := xmllint
 # use the one that lmi builds:
-#   XMLLINT := $(PERFORM) $(localbindir)/xmllint
+#   XMLLINT := $(PERFORM) $(localbindir)/xmllint$(EXEEXT)
 # but don't do that until 'wine' is fixed--see:
 #   https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2019-01/msg00034.html

> - In test_coding_rules_test.sh (but not the concinnity target in the main
>   makefile, as TEST_CODING_RULES already includes the extension)

Actually, because that binary cannot be built for MinGW-w32:

        @[ "$$LMI_TRIPLET" = "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" ] \
          || ($(ECHO) "'$@' requires x86_64-pc-linux-gnu." && false)
        @$(MAKE) test_coding_rules$(EXEEXT)
        @$(INSTALL) -c -m 0775 $(TEST_CODING_RULES) $(localbindir)

there's also no need for that script to work with 'wine'. In this case,
the right way to follow the "$PERFORM requires $EXEEXT" rule above is
to remove "$PERFORM" from that script.

> - For generate_passkey in workhorse.make

Indeed.

>  Again, please let me know if you'd like me to add the corresponding
> changes to this branch or if you'd rather make them yourself.

Done; tested; pushing after I hit "Send".