lout-users

Future Plans [Was: Re: Buffer overflow in the StringQuotedWord() functio

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: Future Plans [Was: Re: Buffer overflow in the StringQuotedWord() function]
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 12:10:18 +0200

Oliver Bandel píše v Čt 22. 10. 2020 v 13:07 +0200:
> The question is: how often do new pull requests come in and
> how fast they need to be reviewed.
> The lower the traffic, the easier it is for people to make it in short
> windows of free time.
> I would guess it's rather low-traffic on lout, but William Bader
> mentioned 1300 lines of patch-code already existing.

It very much depends on how much the maintainer wants to change
lout. The minimalist version is just to collect existing patches
and be ready for any incoming patches/issues, and Jeff is right
lout is pretty close to be done, so I wouldn’t expect much after
the fist hard work to organize existing improvements.

Unless, the maintainer decides that it is worthy to bring lout
to the twenty-first century, which would probably means some
larger changes: switching to UTF-8, generating PDF, and using
system fonts á la XeTeX/LuaTeX (using FreeType, I guess, if not
going all the way to HarfBuzz). That would require plenty of
work, and lout would get external dependencies (aka need for
constant maintenance), but I don’t think it is super-important.
Even with the limit given by PostScript and basically just
European languages (did anybody manage to do anything in Lout
with CJK/Indic languages, or even worse Thai?), it is still can
be pretty useful for many.

Best,

Matěj

--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl@ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

[...] a superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid
having to exercise his superior skill.
  -- http://www.jwz.org/blog/2009/09/that-duct-tape-silliness/#comment-10653