Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 03:31:46 -0800

> From address@hidden Mon Feb  3 02:05:54 1997
> Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:03:50 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics

<snip>
> Isn't it much better to change the central Lynx distribution to
> recommend, as the default, a program which is free?

Actually, isn't "xv" free, SORT OF.  Maybe the term is "free ware",
ie you grab it, try it, if you like it, you send in some money,
like $50, I think.

I've corresponded via email with the fellow who wrote it (I did
this a year or so ago), and his basic feeling was that withheld
the MANUAL.  If you wanted that you had to send him the money.

I think that pretty much EVERYONE has xv.

Where I got mine was off the O'Reilly book's CD "X User Tools".

I myself have NOT sent in any money -- but then I don't use the
package (I have nothing I want to look AT!).  But when I do want
to start using it, I will send in the money, get the (supposedly
excellent and large) manual, and let him make some money for
his excellent work.

Anyway, "xv" is surely in the grey area between "gnu-free"
and "commercial".

By the way, here is the latest (3feb95) xv readme:

-------