Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 21:19:29 +0900 (JST)

> HOWEVER,  lynx_cfg.h  is not defining the location of  lynx.cfg  correctly:
> the line reads (i copy it from the file):
>
> #define LYNX_CFG_FILE "~/lynx28/lynx2-8/lynx.cfg"
[...]                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> --libdir=$HOME/lynx28/lynx2-8 --mandir=$HOME/lynx28/lynx2-8/lynx_help \
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Configure is working exactly as it should.  There was a LOT of discussion
about putting lynx.cfg in --libdir or not.  Finally it was concluded that
since it's the only file going there (besides lynx.lss if you ask for it),
there was no problem.

I think you're misunderstanding what the purpose of configure's action
is in relation to lynx.cfg.  Configure puts the DEFAULT, i.e., lynx.cfg
in the top distribution directory, in --libdir.  I think if you did a
"make install" and look at the file that's in there, you'll see what I
mean (all 80kBs of it).  This actually is a good thing in a way because
it can be used to prevent Lynx from dying on someone who has not done
anything about lynx.cfg.  You can also "fool" configure by editing or
copying over the distribution lynx.cfg (as it is explained in INSTALLATION:
"First, however, you must configure Lynx...")

Since you have your own customized lynx.cfg, you want to point Lynx to
it, NOT to ~/lynx28/lynx2-8/lynx.cfg.  If you must have your own file
in ~/lynx28/lynx2-8, then that should be on the command line or environment
variable, and --libdir should be to your build directory or something like
/dev/null if you've got a small disk like me :).

In short, for people who want lynx to find the lynx.cfg file they edited,
be sure that file is in lynx2-8 BEFORE doing make install, OR define the
location on the command line or environment variable or in userdefs.h.  If
you want the 80kB default, leave it as is and define its location with
--libdir.

__Henry

PS Yes, I'll do some work on INSTALLATION to make the above point more clear.
PPS You naughty boy, what're you doin' snoopin' around in lynx_cfg.h 8-).