Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:02:52 +0900 (JST)

> > I propose to install help on default by "make install"
> > (extra 200K for 1M program should not be the problem)
> > and add a word in INSTALLATION about "install-no-help"
> I don't know - I thought we'd reached a compromise on that (anyone else?)

Well, while I'm still on the air, I'd advise against it for the sake of
people who are squeezing by on tight quotas or have tiny disks.  I used to
be running the whole school here on a 150 MB machine, so even 1 kB wasted
makes me want to cry.  Even now I only keep the help files on one machine
and use nfs and httpd to serve it up to the other Lynxes over the LAN.

I'm not sure what "200K" means.  If I move to the lynx_help installed by
" make install-help" I see:
        % du .
        68      ./keystrokes
        97      ./samples
        164     ./test
        534     .

I'm not sure why /samples and /test need to be there.  The  following is
enough for me to get out the vacuum cleaner (=rm -rf):
        %ls -l samples/lynx.cfg
        -rw-r--r--  1 user    79504 Feb 13 22:53 samples/lynx.cfg

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why we need "samples/lynx.cfg".

__Henry